Destination Vegas

My husband has just agreed to send me to Las Vegas with my two sisters this Mother's Day -- IF I manage to lose 15 lbs. Vegas? Three days in Sin City for an all-girls' weekend? Yeah, baby, get me on that scale and sign me up!!

Hang on, what am I getting myself into? I'm not too good with diets -- I have a big appetite and I love eating too much. I'm the first to admit that I tend to eat for the sake of it way too often. Even though I know that when I binge, it will takes a looot of effort on my part to make up for it. But even without this Vegas incentive, even if I don't drop the whole 15 lbs., I really do want to try and lose some weight this year. Here are some reasons why:

1) Health, of course; I read in SELF magazine that you should ideally be within 11 lbs. of the weight you were at age 18 (assuming, of course that you were at a healthy weight when you were 18). The pounds have gradually crept on, so that today I fluctuate between 15 and 20 lbs. heavier than my 18-year-old self.

2) I want to model healthy eating habits for my children. They have inherited my appetite, and I can see that they will not be like Graham was as a child, i.e. a string bean that can eat massive quantities of food and stay skinny. If they see mama reaching for fruit between meals, they might be less likely to ask for treats.

3) I want to look good, girl! How will I ever be a Bongga Mom if I don't feel good about myself? I want to wear a swimsuit without feeling self-conscious, shop for clothes I want my husband to look at me and see a hot babe, not just the mother of his children.

4) My brother is getting married at the end of the year, on December 26. As sister of the groom, I have a moral responsibility to look good in the happy couple's wedding photos. My sisters and I have a pact anyway; we're going to lose weight and keep each other motivated via email and Instant Messenger.

5) If I am diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, I should make an even greater effort to eating right and exercising well, because once I start medication for this condition, my metabolism will probably slow down and I'll have an even harder time maintaining a healthy weight.

Okay, 15 lbs. in 6 months..... a doable, but lofty goal. Now that it's on the internet, I guess it's official. I'd better get cracking. Stay tuned for my weight updates and please cross your fingers!

3 comments:

Peppermint said...

I love this post! I am on a diet too! And so is Cesar. This is now a collective effort! Yey! We can do this!

Anonymous said...

I think the best way is to have a sport. Even just once a week. When i had badmin before that's how i stayed thin for so long.

susanlavonne said...

congratulations on your committment and just one tip that helps me....LOTS of water! I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us (I'm trying too but too chicken to make it official :-)