Take the Twirly Challenge!

I've just taken a test to see whether I'm right-brained or left-brained. Here are the results:


You Are 65% Left Brained, 35% Right Brained

The left side of your brain controls verbal ability, attention to detail, and reasoning.
Left brained people are good at communication and persuading others.
If you're left brained, you are likely good at math and logic.
Your left brain prefers dogs, reading, and quiet.

The right side of your brain is all about creativity and flexibility.
Daring and intuitive, right brained people see the world in their unique way.
If you're right brained, you likely have a talent for creative writing and art.
Your right brain prefers day dreaming, philosophy, and sports.



I'm thinking, yeah, that sounds about right. I studied engineering , I live by my Yahoo! Calendar, so I definitely have left-brain characteristics, but I also like to daydream and blog and do facepainting, jewelry-making and arts & crafts. Yeah, I'm a bit of each.

But then, my logical left side is saying, "Classic after-the-fact analysis! You are subconsciously molding your perception of yourself to match the results of this test, much like people selectively remember details of their personalities and lives that fit their horoscope or fortune-telling reading."

Okay, how about another test? Alfie forwarded me a link to this TwirlyGirl test. If you see the girl twirling counterclockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain, and vice versa. Like most people, I could only see the counterclockwise twirl. Yup, I'm a left-brainer, all right.

So now, the challenge is to see whether you can make the girl twirl in the other direction. At first, I just could not do it. Then Alfie let me in on a little secret -- if you focus on the girl's shadow at the bottom -- do NOT look at the girl herself -- you can concentrate hard enough and visualize it turning in the other direction. Once you do that, bring your gaze back to the whole girl. I tried it, and it works! I can now see the girl twirling both clockwise and counterclockwise.

For more thoughts on left and right, click here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am left brained but I still am good at creative stuff. What does it make me?

Confused!!

Tumblewords: said...

I blink, she changes direction. I'll look again. Make sure I'm right. Or left.

tickledpink.nicole said...

How bizarre! What a cool optical illusion!