Gratitude Challenge: Day 17

Last night was Back-to-School night, and since we now have 3 classrooms to visit and 3 teachers to meet, Alfie and I left the kids with a babysitter, sat in our kids' chairs, and found out all the wonderful things they're going to be learning next year.

I'm continually impressed with the patience and dedication of the teachers at our school. Each year, The Pea has told me that she thinks her current teacher is the best in the world... until she meets her next teacher. It looks like 3Po and Jammy have similar opinions. So this school year I'm determined to do what I can to help out the teachers who do so much to help out my kids.

In last month's Office Max blogcast, my co-panelist Heather told me something that totally blew my mind -- teachers spend an average of $1000 of their own money on school supplies for their classrooms! At Back-to-School night, the kids' teachers did ask for some classroom fees to pay for museum admissions and other programs that they'll be enjoying this year, but I know they need more. 3Po's teacher told us that the school gives her 1 printer ink cartridge each year. Given the number of photo projects she sent The Pea home with when The Pea was in her class 3 years ago, I'm sure that ink cartridge won't last her 3 months.

So if you want to do something kind for your child's teacher, don't give them apples or World's Best Teacher mugs. Give them school supplies. Ask them what they need, then show up the next day with a box of it.

I received an Office Max giftcard as a thank-you for appearing on the back-to-school blogcast from the folks at Office Max. I think I'll be buying a lot of printer ink this year.


When you carry out acts of kindness you get a wonderful feeling inside. It is as though something inside your body responds and says, yes, this is how I ought to feel. --Harold Kushner

3 comments:

Nice to meet you, my name is Speed Bumpie said...

We have a public elementary school around the corner from us and ALL supplies are donated by the PTA. The school just doesn't have the budget.

Anything parents and friends can donate is greatly appreciated by all schools.

Leticia- Tech Savvy Mama said...

Ink cartridges are an awesome way to show your 3Po's teacher that you really appreciate her! Those cartridges are so expensive and you are right that they never last long enough! What a great random act of kindness that goes a long way!

brennaboo said...

On the subject of printer ink... I just paid attention to an ad!!! (Usually I don't focus on them, necessarily). Kodak printer cartridges cost half the price of those for my crummy lexmark or the crummy HP I had before that. I'm SOOO gonna get a Kodak next time.

Score!!! On the gift cert. Totally useful and very cool. :)