A Bump in the Road

All of last week, I had been planning to write my weekly Keep Going Blogger post on Sunday night. We spent the weekend at the Disneyland Resort, so my intention was to write a "Walking Around Disneyland" along the same lines as my Walking Around Manhattan, England, Paris and Amsterdam posts. It would have made a great addition to the series, because we did walk a lot during our 3-day stay, and the scenery around the resort during the fall is actually quite picturesque:

Main Street

But this isn't a post about walking around Disneyland anymore. Because on Saturday morning I noticed a pain in my right foot, and by Saturday night the pain was so intense that I was hobbling around like Quasimodo in my attempt to keep up with 3 kids intent on riding as many attractions -- always on opposite sides of the park, naturally -- as they could. I don't recall any particular event in the park that could have caused it, but I do remember that on Thursday night, as we were packing, 3Po dropped a plastic bin full of clothes on my right foot. Could this be some kind of delayed reaction? By the time our return flight landed on Sunday afternoon, my poor foot was swollen and bruised, and all I could think was, Ten days to go until the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, and I might have a fracture in my foot.

Oh, just swell. And yes, pun intended.

My mind was racing: No way I can walk 60 miles with a broken foot. Could I walk a few miles in a foot cast? Is there a wheelchair division? Can I still be the Energizer Keep Going Blogger if I can't keep going?

So I went to see a doctor earlier today, who ordered an x-ray. You can all breathe a sigh of relief: it isn't broken.

Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, here we come!

The doctor did have a couple of caveats. She suggested I wait about a week to decide whether my foot was well enough to walk the 60 miles. She suggested keeping it elevated and iced throughout the week. And she said No Training This Week.

Uh-Oh.

This is the home stretch. I'm supposed to be doing 10 mile walks without breaking a sweat, and going for 15 miles, back to back! How am I supposed to do anything when my foot is letting me down?

Oops. Sorry, foot, I know I promised to be nicer to you, so I'll cut my lecture short and give you some extra love this week to help you get better for October 1. At least you're not broken. It's just a little bump. So what if we end up taking a little bit longer each day? It's not about the walk, it's about the journey.

I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed....


Energizer is sponsoring my participation fee and fundraising requirement for this event, but I would love to be able to raise more for breast cancer. Please help me reach my goal of $1000! Any amount helps and is greatly appreciated. You can click on the widget below to donate to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen San Francisco Bay    Area 3-Day for the Cure!

No comments: