31 Days of Pink: Week 2


I've decided to dedicate the rest of my weekly Pink Recap posts in October to featuring someone I know who has had breast cancer. Instead of blathering on about the pink stuff I wore last week, I'd rather talk (and you'd probably rather read) about the people I wear pink for.


My grandmother, Lola Nena, is the first person I knew who had breast cancer.  We had lunch with her and my aunts and uncles and cousins at her home, every single Sunday, without fail, for the first fifteen years of my life.  Lola Nena always wore a muumu-like house dress, and although she was not a big woman, I remember her midsection would always protrude over her chest area.  It wasn't until I was in my teens that I realized it was because she didn't have any breasts, so that area would always hang loose.  She had had her double mastectomy years before I was even born.  Lola Nena lived a full life long after beating breast cancer, and passed away at the ripe old age of eighty-five.

Lola Nena, this week's pink is for you.



Check out my pink outfits on my 31 Days of Pink Photo Album on Picasa, and check out my Pink Post series on Bonggamom Finds, featuring some great products that benefit breast cancer research. Oh, and remember to get your mammograms!

Pin It

No comments: