Tofu Spinach Sandwich


Tofu is one of our favorite sources of protein, but there's really only one way we enjoy it -- fried.  I tried baking it once, but it turned out so salty and unappetizing that I've stuck to good old fried tofu ever since.  Last week I attended a blog event where one of the lunch choices was a tofu sandwich.  Tofu in a sandwich?  I was intrigued.  I was even more surprised to discover that the tofu in the sandwich was cold and uncooked.  I've come to associate raw, cubed tofu with salads (and they're not my favorite salad topping either), but this sandwich was so delicious that I knew I'd have to try and recreate it at home.  I made a version of the sandwich today, and my test subject (Alfie and The Pea) loved it.  This one's a keeper!



Tofu Spinach Sandwich

(*sorry, I don't have exact amounts for any of the ingredients, you'll just have to wing it based on the size and number of sandwiches you want to make!)

1)  Sautee sliced portobello mushrooms in garlic, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.  Season with salt and pepper.


2) Sautee baby spinach and minced red bell peppers in olive oil until the spinach is wilted.  Season with salt and pepper.


3) Assemble the sandwich:  Spread some cream cheese (mine had chives) on a slice of flatbread.   Add a slice of firm tofu and a slice of manchego cheese. Add some portobello mushrooms and spinach.  Note, the original sandwich was served on ciabatta bread, but I didn't have any, so I used flatbread.  It's delicious on the flatbread, but the mushroom and spinach juices will run out, so it gets messy.  Ciabatta makes a neater sandwich because it will soak up the mushroom and spinach juice.



Flatbread or ciabatta (or even french!), hot or cold, this sandwich is wonderful. Enjoy!


Pin It

No comments: